<< danceTributes : Celebrating Fifty Years of New York City Ballet
by Peter Martins (Preface), Christopher Ramsey (Editor), Mikhail Baryshikov
Airborne : The New Dance Photography of Lois Greenfield
by Lois Greenfield, Daniel Giradin, William A. Ewing (Preface)
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater : Jack Mitchell Photographs
by Jack Mitchell (Photographer), Richard Philip (Illustrator), Richard Philp (Designer)
NYC Dance Venues
Home to the greatest dance companies in the world, New York is also a major stop on almost every national and international company tour. Below are links to the major venues for dance in NYC. For events listings, visit Danceonline.com.
- New York City Ballet Columbus Ave and 64th Street, (212) 870-5570
Also known as NYCB or City Ballet, this company presents classical works at Lincoln Center's State Theater. Season is November-Feb and April-June.
- American Ballet Theatre Columbus Ave and 64th Street, (212) 362-6000
Also at Lincoln Center, ABT does the classics (Giselle, Swan Lake) as well as some contemporary works. For what it's worth, Baryshnikov and Nureyev have danced with them. Season is April to June.
- Dance Theatre of Harlem 466 West 152nd Street, (212) 690-2800
"A true pioneer in the field of dance, Dance Theatre of Harlem has established new horizons in the history of classical ballet, bringing to it a uniquely American perspective - one born and nurtured in New York City."
- Dance Theater Workshop 219 W. 19th St, (212) 924-0077
- Joyce Soho 155 Mercer Street bet Houston and Prince, (212) 212-431-9233
- Merce Cunningham Studio 55 Bethune St, (212) 691-9751
- P.S. 122 150 1st Ave, (212) 477-5288
- La Mama 74A E. 4th St., (212) 475-7710
- Tribeca Performing Arts Center 199 Chambers St, (212) 346-8510
- St. Mark's Church in the Bowery 131 East 10th Street, (212) 674-8112
- Judson Church 55 Washington Square South, (212) 477-0351
Nte: no events in the summer